Evolutionary Biologist – Leading proponent of Cognition-Based Evolution (CBE).
Expert on the Microbiome and Infectious Disease – Industry and Health Consultant.
Physician in active medical practice for 30 years.
Cognition-Based Evolution (CBE) offers a comprehensive alternative to the current belief that natural selection controls evolution. Recent research indicates that all organisms that can be seen with our eyes are an intimate collaboration of our innate cells and a vast co-habitating microbiome. Therefore, evolution must be appraised from within those crucial cellular terms.
My expertise in the microbiome and extensive medical training have led to a novel and academically sound approach to evolutionary development which also has broad implications for medical research and personal health.
The study of evolution and health should proceed through a framework that emphasizes our essential partnership with microbes and the immunological rules that govern those relationships.
Establish Cognition Based Evolution as a correction to the preponderant Darwinian selection-biased evolutionary narrative.
Advance research in the microbiome and in those patterns of microbial cooperation that lead to infectious diseases. This is the crucial common denominator for our own health and its proper understanding is critical to our stewardship of our planet.
Areas of expertise:
- Evolutionary Biology.
- Cognition-Based Evolution
- Cellular/microbial cognition.
- The microbiome and its implications for health and disease
- Prebiotics/probiotics/synbiotics as microbial treatments for a large number of acute and chronic human diseases.
- Expert opinion: evolution, the microbiome and its medical applications, infectious disease, dynamics, prebiotics, probiotics, synbiotics
- Academic or general public lectures
- Industry spokesperson
- Current industry consultation: Scientific consultant/writer for Seed.com.
- Miller Jr WB. 2013. The Microcosm Within: Evolution and Extinction in the Hologenome. Universal-Publishers.
- Torday, JS. Miller Jr, WB., Cellular-Molecular Mechanisms in Epigenetic Evolutionary Biology. Springer Nature: Cham, Switzerland.
- Guex, J, Torday JS, Miller, Jr. WB. (eds) 2020. Morphogenesis, Environmental Stress and Reverse Evolution. Springer.
- Torday J and Miller Jr., W. 2020. The Singularity of Nature. Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Miller WB, Wirman JA, McKinney P. 1974. Extraosseous Osteogenic Sarcoma of the Forearm. Archives of Pathology. 97:240-46.
- McKinney P, Miller WB. 1976. Nasal Xeroradiology. British Journal of Plastic Surgery. 27: 353-56.
- Miller WB, Gilula LA. 1976. Ankylosing Spondylitis- Roentgen Rounds. Orthopedic Review 5:59-62.
- Miller WB, Murphy WA, Gilula LA, Kantor OS. 1977. Brodie’s Abscess of the Patella. Journal of the American Medical Association. 238: 1179-1180
- Miller WB, Melson GL. 1979. Abdominal Wall Endometrioma. American Journal of Radiology. 132: 467-68.
- Miller WB, Murphy WA, Gilula LA. 1979. Brodie’s Abcess: A Reappraisal. Radiology. 132:15-23.
- Miller WB, Boal DK, Teele R. 1983. Neurofibromatosis of the Bladder: Sonographic Findings. Journal of Clinical Ultrasound. 11: 460-62.
- Torday, JS, Miller WB. 2015 Man Is Integral With Nature. Minding Nature: 8:1
- Torday, JS, Miller, WB. 2016 The Unicellular State as a Point Source in a Quantum Biological System. Biology, 5(2), 25.
- Miller, WB. 2016 Cognition, Information Fields and Hologenomic Entanglement: Evolution in Light and Shadow. Biology 5, 21.
- Torday, JS and Miller, WB. 2016 Biologic relativity: Who is the observer and what is observed?. Progress in biophysics and molecular biology, 121(1), 29-34.
- Torday, JS, Miller Jr, WB. 2016. On the evolution of the mammalian brain. Frontiers in systems neuroscience, 10.
- Torday JS, Miller WB. 2016 Phenotype as Agent for Epigenetic Inheritance. Biology 30.
- Torday, JS, Miller WB. 2016 Life is determined by its environment. International Journal of Astrobiology -1:1-6.
- Miller WB Jr. 2016 The Eukaryotic Microbiome: Origins and Implications for Fetal and Neonatal Life. Front. Pediatr. 4:96.
- Miller WB, Torday JS. 2017 A systematic approach to cancer: evolution beyond selection. Clinical and Translational Medicine. 6(1):2.
- Torday JS, Miller WB. 2017 A Systems Approach to Physiologic Evolution: From Micelles to Consciousness. Journal of Cellular Physiology. 233(1), 162-167.
- Torday JS, Miller Jr WB. 2017 The resolution of ambiguity as the basis for life: A cellular bridge between Western reductionism and Eastern holism. Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology. 131, 288-297.
- Miller WB. 2017 Biological information systems: Evolution as cognition-based information management. Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology. 134, 1-26.
- Torday JS, Miller, WB. 2018 From egosystem to ecosystem. Minding Nature. 11(1).
- Torday JS, Miller WB. 2017 Terminal addition in a cellular world. Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology. 135, 1-10.
- Torday JS, Miller, Jr WB. 2018. Unitary Physiology. Comprehensive Physiology. 8(2):761-71.
- Miller WB, Torday JS. 2018 . Four Domains: The Fundamental Unicell and Post-Darwinian Cognition-Based Evolution. Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology 140, 49-73.
- Torday JS and Miller WB. 2018 The Cosmologic Continuum From Physics to Consciousness Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology 140, 41-48
- Baluška F, Miller, Jr. WB 2018 Senomic View of the Cell: Senome versus Genome. Communicative and Integrative Biology 11: 1-9.
- Miller Jr. WB, Torday JS 2018. The origins of biological deception: Ambiguous information and human behavior. Minding Nature. 11 (3).
- Miller WB, Torday, JS, Baluška F. 2018 Biological Evolution as the Defense of Self. Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology 142, 54-74.
- Miller, Jr, WB, Torday, JS. 2019. Reappraising the exteriorization of the mammalian testes through evolutionary physiology. Communicative & Integrative Biology, 12(1), 38-54.
- Miller WB, Torday JS, Baluška F. 2019 . The N-Space Episenome Unifies Cellular Information Space-Time within Cognition-Based Evolution. Progress Biophysics and Molecular Biology. 150, 112-139.
- Miller WB, Baluška F. Torday JS. 2020 Cellular Senomic Measurements in Cognition-Based Evolution. Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology. 156, 20-33.
- Miller, WB (2020) The first minds: Caterpillars, ‘karyotes and consciousness, Philosophical Psychology, DOI: 10.1080/09515089.2020.1849599
Previous Professional Experience
- Asst. Clinical Professor in Diagnostic Radiology- Pennsylvania State University-Hershey Medical Center- 1979-1989
- Private medical practice for thirty years.
- Northwestern University Honors program in Medicine with BS/MD in medicine in 1974
- Internship:General Surgery, Barnes Hospital, 1975
- Diagnostic Radiology Residency: Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, 1976-1979.
- Board-certified Diagnostic Radiology, 1979.
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honors Society- 1974.
Follow me on Twitter @BillMillerMD to stay up to date on our newest posts and latest research and developments.
Follow me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/DrBillMiller
Contact Dr. Miller
If you would like to contact Dr. Miller, fill out the contact form or contact Dr. Miller at